The GUNi’s Regional Office in Africa, together with the Association of African Universities (AAU) and the Global University Network for Innovation Secretariat, organize the workshop ‘Facilitating reflection on Responsible Research and Innovation’ in the framework of the HEIRRI internationalization plan to spread the project amongst Higher Education Institutions outside Europe.
It will take place next 16th October 2017 in Accra (Ghana) at the Association of African Universities headquarters. The workshop is aimed to gather together researchers, teachers and university staff interested in Responsible Research and Innovation (RRI).
Brief description of the workshop
In this workshop, participants will envision possible futures connected to R&I developments. They will reflect on strategies and ways how to steer these developments and their possible wider societal and environmental impacts using concepts of RRI. Then, the course will especially focus on how to integrate such reflection on issues of RRI into higher education teaching and training. Together in groups participants will develop different approaches and designs for teaching RRI to various higher education audiences.
On completion of this workshop participants will be able to:
1. apply concepts of Responsible Research and Innovation (RRI) to discuss the societal implications of research and innovation (R&I) developments
2. to outline how to promote reflection on RRI and related issues in higher education settings.
This is a full-day workshop combining an input lecture by the course instructor with in-class group work using a case example, presentations, and plenary discussions.
Part 1. Reflecting the impacts of R&I (2h)
– Multidisciplinary Speed dating
– Analysis of RRI aspects involved in a transdisciplinary research topic: ageing
Part 2. Applying concepts of RRI (2h)
– Presentation of the theoretical RRI framework
– Debate through card exchange exercise
Part 3. Facilitating reflection on RRI in higher education (2h)
– Analysis of different teaching approaches to teach RRI
– Final discussion
Registration is free. Please, fill in this form with your personal information. Places are limited and applications are accepted on a first-come first-serve basis.
Looking forward to meeting you in Accra!