The GUNi’s Regional Office in Latin America and Caribbean, together with the Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México (UNAM), Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul (UFRGS) and the Global University Network for Innovation Secretariat, organize the workshops ‘Facilitating reflection on Responsible Research and Innovation’ in the framework HEIRRI internationalization plan to spread the project amongst Higher Education Institutions outside Europe.
They will take place on the 23th and 25th January 2018 in Porto Alegro (Brazil) and Mexico DF (Mexico) respectively. The workshops are aimed to gather together researchers, teachers and university staff interested in Responsible Research and Innovation (RRI).
Brief description of the workshops
In these workshops, participants will envision possible futures connected to R&I developments. They will reflect on strategies and ways how to steer these developments and their possible wider societal and environmental impacts using concepts of RRI. Then, the courses will especially focus on how to integrate such reflection on issues of RRI into higher education teaching and training. Together in groups participants will develop different approaches and designs for teaching RRI to various higher education audiences.
The courses will be delivered in Spanish by Prof. Gema Revuelta, director of the Studies Centre on Science, Communication and Society at Pompeu Fabra University (UPF) and coordinator of the HEIRRI project. All materials will be in English.
On completion of these workshops participants will be able to:
1. apply concepts of Responsible Research and Innovation (RRI) to discuss the societal implications of research and innovation (R&I) developments
2. to outline how to promote reflection on RRI and related issues in higher education settings.
This is a full-day workshop combining an input lecture by the course instructor with in-class group work using a case example, presentations, and plenary discussions.
9.00 – 9.15h Opening words
Axel Didriksson, Denise Leite, Josep M. Vilalta and Gema Revuelta
9.15 – 13.00h Part 1. Reflecting the impacts of R&I
• Multidisciplinary Speed dating
• Analysis of RRI aspects involved in a transdisciplinary research topic: ageing
13.00 – 14.00h Lunch break
14.00 – 16.00h Part 2. Applying concepts of RRI
• Presentation of the theoretical RRI framework
• Debate through card exchange exercise
16.15 – 18.00h Part 3. Facilitating reflection on RRI in higher education
• Analysis of different teaching approaches to teach RRI
• Final discussion
Registration and links with moreinformation:
Registration is free. Please, fill in the following forms with your personal information. Places are limited and applications are accepted on a first-come first-serve basis:
– 23th January 2018 – HEIRRI workshop in Porto Alegro: ‘Facilitating reflection on Responsible Research and Innovation’
– 25th January 2018 – HEIRRI workshop in Mexico: ‘Facilitating reflection on Responsible Research and Innovation’
The workshops are organized by the Association of Public Universities of Catalonia (ACUP) and the Global University Network for Innovation (GUNi) as partner of the HEIRRI project consortium.
Looking forward to meeting you in Brazil and Mexico!